Friday, April 22, 2016

How to Put on a Smash Hit- Part Deux

         Let’s continue, shall we? Last time we talked about the process of picking a show, securing performance right, and assembling a production team. Once this was all completed, the brain trust met and decided that auditions would be set for early January 2016. This would allow us plenty of time to cast the show, and begin rehearsals for the April production dates. Over my decades of directing and acting, I’ve had a love/hate relationship with auditions. 
As a director, I get excited about the possibilities. But at the same time nervous that people won’t show up, or I would have to disappoint some people. Neither option is fun. To be perfectly honest, when I decide on a show to direct, I think about who I could possibly cast in each role. I believe you have to do this in a community theatre setting, because you have to know if you can realistically cast your show. This method of thinking of people is not to be confused with pre-casting- this is the method where you decide on certain actors for specific roles even before auditions. I also have mixed feelings about pre-casting, and here’s why: many times over the years I’ve heard complaints in the community that they see the same people in shows over and over. They know if  ______________ is directing, then __________________ will be in the show. And often that’s true. But many times pre-casting takes place because people don’t show up for auditions, and you as a director must plan for that. As an actor I’ve been on both ends. One of my first experiences at SLT was when I was a freshman in college, and I heard that SLT was going to be performing a play that I really liked. But when I inquired about it, I found out that the show had already been cast, and I wouldn’t even have a chance. I was furious- this was an outrage! A grave injustice had taken place!! But over the many years, I’ve also been pre-cast in shows, which, to be frank, is kinda nice. So I definitely see both sides of the argument. For Spamalot, only one role was going to be pre-cast- King Arthur. I was casting myself. I didn’t feel too badly about it, because this show is choc full o’ really good male roles, and each have there own moments to shine.
            As the audition dates got closer, I was feeling apprehensive- would we get enough people to cast the show? Would the RIGHT people show up? The last show I directed, the musical “How to Succeed in Business….”, had a serious audition problem. Only about 13 people showed up, and I frantically began calling and begging people to be in my show. Fortunately, this was not the case for “Spamalot”. We had a tremendous turnout, and we were thrilled. But this brought a new anxiety. Most of the people that auditioned I knew, and had worked with over the years. We knew that not everyone was going to get a part, and some very talented people were going to be told that they were not being cast. So we began our casting meeting, and it was hard. Extremely hard. We had to make some tough decisions, and in the end there was some weeping and gnashing of teeth. But we put together what we felt like was the best cast based on the characters and the actors. I know there were some disappointed people. I know people didn’t get the parts they wanted. But sadly- that’s theatre. I’ve auditioned quite a bit myself over the years, and there were many times I didn’t get the outcome that I had hoped for. I used to tell my students that if they were going into the theatre business then they needed to get used to rejection. It stings. It sucks. But in the end, you just accept it and move on.
            We had our cast about the second week of January. And although the show was still months away, I was ready to start rehearsals. We began meeting a few times a week to learn music and choreography. This definitely pays off later on. Finally in mid-February, we actually got into the theatre. Now it begins! The way Rebecca and I worked together was that I did most of the actual blocking, and she organized and coordinated all of the other elements- costuming, lighting, set building, and numerous other tasks. She also blocked a couple of the scenes in the show, so she pretty much had her hands in everything! I absolutely couldn’t have done any of this without her!!
            At this point it becomes a puzzle. Trying to fit all of the pieces together in a race against the clock. Eight weeks of rehearsal seems like a long time, but believe you me, that time flew by. Slowly things started to gel and coalesce. Songs were memorized, lines were learned, and choreography was cleaned up. Costumes were sewn, sets were built, and props were created. What looked like a long time on paper, suddenly felt like a mad dash to the finish line. And a few weeks before opening night, I’ll confess, I was feeling some anxiety. Would it all come together? Would there ever be a night the entire cast was at rehearsal? (One of the pitfalls of true community theatre.)

            As I write this we are one day away from opening night. And I have to tell you- I couldn’t be more proud of the way it’s turned out. This has been a fantastic group of people to work with! Every person, from the boys who move the sets, to the people working in the box office, to the fellow actors I join onstage has give 110%, and I am truly honored that they have chosen this production to be a part of. I can’t wait for you all to see it! (Although I am extremely confident in it’s quality, I must confess- every show I ever do I wallow a bit in my own insecurities. Actors are a funny lot.) I’m ready for you to see our baby- our big, loveable, goofy, silly, sometimes inappropriate baby- warts and all. I want you as an audience to come away with pains in your sides and sore cheeks from laughing so much. I want you to have as much fun as we are performing it for you. So go get those tickets- we’ve been working a LONG time to entertain you! And remember- always look on the bright side of life……

No comments:

Post a Comment