Monday, April 11, 2016

They Say the Neon Lights are Bright......

              Often, over the years, as I am stopped on the streets of Shawnee and hounded for autographs and selfies, I am asked “How do you possibly find time to direct and star in all of those award winning plays at Shawnee Little Theater??” I realize in the span of a few minutes I couldn’t possibly tell them everything that goes into the vast creative process. But it has made me think about this- generally speaking, most people don’t realize the amount of time and effort that goes into selecting and mounting a production at a community theatre. They see the finished product and are pleased, and they know that some rehearsal went into it. But when you share with them just how much, they are often shocked. So I thought I would share the process with my masses of adoring fans. I will go into detail what has happened so far in the effort to bring the newest production at Shawnee Little Theatre to life. Strap in kids!
                It all started about a year ago. I serve on the Board of Directors at Shawnee Little Theatre, and I have often taken an active role in the selections of upcoming seasons. In early spring of 2015, we were frantically trying to put together the New Season for 2015-2016. We had most of the titles settled, yet we lacked a final show. It needed to be vast, epic, sprawling if you will. It needed to tie the season together, and push us into the following year. We had thrown out many titles, but nothing was sticking. Then finally, at a board meeting, our fine SLT President said “I’ve had a bit of inspiration. What about…..Spamalot??” (For those of you who do not know, Spamalot is a musical based on the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”.) 
We all thought it was a magnificent idea! Rebecca even offered to direct said musical- with one caveat. “This is such a big show- I really need someone to help me….” And as she said this, her eyes, in slow motion, turned to me. You see, 8 years prior, Rebecca and I teamed up to co-direct one of the greatest shows ever performed in the state of Oklahoma- “Urinetown”. It was a great experience- we worked really well together, and in the process created magic. “Urinetown” was such a good experience and fun show that, if given the opportunity, I would do the show again. I can’t say that for most of the shows that I’ve been in. 

So with our previous history in mind, I told her that I would think it over and let her know as soon as possible. But first , I wanted to see the show. Even though “Spamalot” had played on Broadway years earlier and had toured, I had actually never seen it. I went home, and over the next few days, I may or may not have watched an illegally recorded production of it on a popular video website. And I laughed, and laughed, and laughed! I called Rebecca and said- “I’m in”. And the award winning duo of Bartley and Fry (or Fry and Bartley, depending on who you ask) were reunited, much to the delight of theatre audiences everywhere.
                Once a show is decided, the next thing that must be done is to procure the rights of performance. Every play or musical is has their rights controlled by a publisher- Samuel French, MTI, etc. And if you want to perform that show, you have to pay the publisher royalties for each performance. And, what most people don’t realize, is that there are strict copyright laws- when you purchase the rights, you are required to do the show as it is written. Often we’ll get complaints about a show’s mature language- why couldn’t you just cut those nasty words? Because- if the publisher finds out we have altered a script without getting their permission, we could be restricted from ever doing one of their shows again. So it is kind of a big deal. 
Anyhoo- we set about requesting performance rights to “Spamalot”, and we were happy that we got a quick response- Yes!!
                After rights have been settled, then it is customary for a director (or in this case directors), to begin assembling their production team. Over the years I have learned that the key to success as a director is to surround yourself with talented people, and then let them do their job. It makes the director’s job much easier, and makes the director look brilliant! So Rebecca and I began discussing in earnest who we would want involved in our production team. Since “Spamalot” is a musical, one of the first things we needed to do was get a good musical director. This is always tough- in every musical I have ever directed, I have had a hard time getting a good musical director. Not because there aren’t any- I have relationships with a plethora of outstanding musicians. But because they are so talented, these are often very busy people, who usually don’t have time to commit to such a long rehearsal period. I’ve been lucky in the past- I’ve had the good fortune of getting some wonderful musical directors. Rebecca and I put together a list of the usual suspects, and we quickly decided on one name- Sherri Thompson, a local music teacher in one of our community’s grade schools. We had both known Sherri for years, and were excited about the possibility of working with a musician of her caliber. We made the offer early in the summer of 2015, and waited patiently for her answer. After a brief waiting period, she agreed, and we were set at musical director! (Yes, it meant that her husband would have to be involved also, but sometimes concessions have to be made……) Now that was set, we began piecing together the rest of our team- of course a musical needs a top-notch choreographer. Once again, we had several possibilities, but we finally settled on young Trevor Mastin, a local lad who is attempting to make a career of theatre. He’s performed in, and directed and choreographed numerous shows, so we felt supremely confident in our choice. And to hold all of these lunatics together, you need a strong Stage Manager- someone who organizes many of the little details, helps run rehearsals, and controls the show backstage during the performances. We found another youngster, Bethany McWilliams, a recent graduate of a local university, to take on the herculean task of putting up with me. Luckily, Bethany has worked with me before, and knows all too well that sometimes extremely talented people can also be quite volatile at times. So by the end of the summer, we had our team. Avengers Assembled! And we began preparing in earnest for the next phase, which would be the casting of the show.

To be continued…….

No comments:

Post a Comment